Staff Spotlight: Faustin Soroncho, Information Systems Program Manager

Akilah prides itself on developing strong, skilled women leaders. But behind every great leader is a great teacher. In our “Staff Spotlight” series, we ask instructors and staff what inspires them about the work they do.

Faustin Soroncho is Akilah’s Information Systems Program Manager. He oversees Akilah’s Information Systems (IS) diploma, a two-year program that prepares students for careers in ICT and to solve problems with an innovative mindset.

“Still today, people tend to think girls can’t do IT, but my experience is that they understand and experiment with IT just the same way as boys do. It’s all about how well we teach them.

A lot of it comes down to mindset. Girls need to be actively informed that this is not just for guys. It is something everyone can do. We need to break out of that mentality that science and tech are mostly for men, and I am proud that we are doing that at Akilah.

We can see the change within our students quite quickly. They gain confidence and start using their creativity and skills to create new things. It’s just about affecting that mindset early on.

Akilah has four computer labs for students to practice their skills.

It’s very important to have girls joining the ICT field. That’s where everything is headed in all sectors, whether it’s business, education, or health. To create equal opportunities, we need to involve girls in the big things coming up. Being fluent in ICT means you get ahead at the workplace, you get to play key roles in your career. I want them to focus on all the doors ICT will open for them — rather than how intimidating it might seem at first.

We need girls to play a huge role in creating impact through tech solutions — and often they will be the ones to come up with innovations specifically benefiting women and girls. They understand that need much better than men ever will.

You don’t need to have any specific IT skills before joining Akilah’s Information Systems program. Everyone can come here from scratch.

I touched a computer for the first time in my first year of college. However much I was intimidated by others who had more skills, I still managed to come out as an expert. It’s not about your prior skills. It’s just about being excited to learn and to try something you haven’t done before.

Our students today are much more motivated and confident than just a few years back. They are excited to try new things, they participate in tech and business competitions, they are promoting themselves.

Whenever I see our students out there getting jobs, creating apps, and coming up with new innovations, I feel like what we are doing is working.”

Interested in pursuing an IS diploma? Akilah is accepting applications for both our Day Program and Evening & Weekend Program. Learn more here.